At Wykeham Primary School, we have our own indoor swimming pool where pupils are taught swimming and water safety by a qualified instructor. Pupils in Years 3 and 4 have weekly lessons.
Pupils are taught to:
- move in water (for example, jump, walk, hop and spin, using swimming aids and support)
- float and move with and without swimming aids
- feel the buoyancy and support of water and swimming aids
- propel themselves in water using different swimming aids, arm and leg actions and basic strokes.
- pace themselves in floating and swimming challenges related to speed, distance and personal survival;
- swim unaided for a sustained period of time over a distance of at least 25 metres;
- use recognised arm and leg actions, lying on their front and back;
- use a range of recognised strokes and personal survival skills for example, front crawl, back crawl, breaststroke, sculling, floating and surface diving.
All pupils take part in Water Safety Awareness sessions.
End of KS2 Swimming Data 2019-2020
Number of pupils in cohort: 60
|Percentage of Year 6 pupils who could swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres when they left at the end of last academic year.||70%|
|Percentage of your Year 6 pupils who could use a range of strokes effectively (for example, front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke) when they left at the end of last academic year.||72%|
|Percentage of your Year 6 pupils who could perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations when they left at the end of last academic year.||70%|