At Wykeham Primary School, we have our own indoor swimming pool where pupils are taught swimming and water safety by a qualified instructor.
At Key Stage 1, pupils are taught to:
- move in water (for example, jump, walk, hop and spin, using swimming aids and support)
- float and move with and without swimming aids
- feel the buoyancy and support of water and swimming aids
- propel themselves in water using different swimming aids, arm and leg actions and basic strokes.
At Key Stage 2, pupils are taught to:
- pace themselves in floating and swimming challenges related to speed, distance and personal survival;
- swim unaided for a sustained period of time over a distance of at least 25 metres;
- use recognised arm and leg actions, lying on their front and back;
- use a range of recognised strokes and personal survival skills [for example, front crawl, back crawl, breaststroke, sculling, floating and surface diving.